At last, Breville made the leap into the world of masticating juicer machines. They have been making top-of-the-line centrifugal machines for years, and you can’t beat a quality centrifugal juicer when you need a quick and easy, healthy juice. However, when you need a non-frothy, more nutritious juice that squeezes more yield out of your fruits and veggies, you need a masticating juicer, and Breville was lacking in that respect — until now.
This is exciting news to me because of the great reputation that Breville has for making really high-quality juicers, among other kitchen products. I have several of their centrifugal machines. The Breville 800JEXL is their power house machine, and if I want to serve up some fresh juice to a gathering at the house, then that is the machine I use. It’s powerful, fast, and makes light work of juicing. The Breville BJE200 is awesome budget priced juicer that is a very compact size, yet still very powerful and makes juice in a snap. Since it is a compact and light weight juicer, it is easy to take with me to friends and families’ homes.
But – back to the juicer in question. Lets get this Breville BJS600XL Fountain Crush review rolling.
The Fountain Crush by Breville is a vertical (upright) style of masticating (also called a single gear or single or auger juicer) that squeezes and crushes using its GE Ultem auger. An auger that is 8 times the strength of previous augers used in masticating machines. This “masticating” style of juicing squeezes more nutrients and more juice out of produce. It is a slow method of juicing that produces almost no heat to preserve antioxidants and enzymes. High speed juicers will kill some antioxidants and enzymes due to heat.
You will find that the left over pulp from this machine is very dry, a testament to how well it extracts juice. Ultimately this means you will need to juice less fruits and vegetables since you will get better yields.
Easy and Safe to Use
As with all slow-speed vertical masticating juicers, the Juice Fountain Crush is easy and safe to use.
- All parts of the juicer need to be in place before the juicer will start.
- The anti-overload feature stops the machine if we put to much in there at once
- The chute has been designed long enough that fingers can’s go in far enough to be harmed.
- The reverse function is awesome should you get into a jam and need to back things up.
- This BJS600XL Fountain Crush runs quietly, it’s just a low droning noise. So you won’t wake up the whole family when you are making an early morning juicer. (Of course if you do want to wake them up – hehe – fire up the Breville 800JEXL)
- A nice wide feed chute. One generally complaint with the horizontal style masticating juicers is their narrow chutes. This means chopping up fruits and veggies so that they will fit. This is time consuming. The vertical masticating juicers, including this Breville Juice Fountain Crush have much bigger chutes and therefore less prep time for you.
- The Wiper Attachment. This neat attachment clears out the Breville masticating juicer of any pulp in the strainer and stranded juice. With a combination of the wiper attachment and pouring water through the machine, you will clear the machine out nicely to ensure that your next juice does not contain residual taste of the previous juice.
Breville BJS600XL Crush in Action
Not Space Consuming
The trend in masticating juicers is now toward the vertical/upright machines. The horizontal machines are quite hefty and take up more than their fair share of space on the kitchen counter. The horizontal machines do have an advantage however, they can do a lot more than just juice fruits and vegetables. They can make nut butters, baby food, soy milk, sorbets and pasta too. But if you are only interested in juicing fruits and veggies and you prefer something less hefty, less space-consuming, and less time-consuming, then vertical is the perfect option.
Breville has done a great job with their entry into the world of masticating juicers, the Juice Fountain Crush really is a high-quality masticating juicer. The Breville reputation is preserved. You are going to get high-quality, nutritious juice from this juice machine, and for a long time, Breville machines last.